Monday, September 14, 2009

I'm Ready for the Park...

Central Park that is..... wearing my newly completed Central Park Hoodie! Woo hoo!

This was a great TV knit. Simple yet effective cables turned this somewhat mindless knit into a rather enjoyable one.

This project emerged from humble beginnings. I bought some undyed Blue Faced Leicester Aran from a lady on Ravelry - 4 skeins totalling 1640 yds. It was perfect for this project - amazingly soft and springy and not scratchy or itchy at all.

The next step was to dye the yarn. I knew what colour I wanted - a mustard/curry semi solid with a hint of olive/brown. I started mixing and finally had the perfect shade! And just enough dye for my 16oz of yarn. I had to dye in two stages since I had so much yarn and only a 3 gallon stock pot. The yarn came out fabulously [shameless horn tooting].

The last step was to swatch. Gauge on the first attempt! Woo hoo! This hoodie was meant to be!

Timeline:

Dyed BFL - 11 August, 2009
Cast on Project - 19 August, 2009
Back Finished - 24 August, 2009
LH Front Finished - 30 August, 2009
RH Front Finished - 2 September, 2009
Sleeves Finished - 7 September, 2009
Washed and Blocked - 8 September, 2009
Hood Finished - 12 September, 2009
Edgings Finished - 13th September, 2009
Button Loops, Buttons and Seaming Finished - 14th September, 2009

Modifications:

Back: One extra pattern repeat to lengthen by 1.75ins. Cat Bordhi’s Wrap, Turn and Conceal Short Row shoulders and three needle BO (since the cable crosses occurred on a short row, I did the cable on a purl side; one row earlier). Contemplated using kitchener stitch to join shoulders, but was worried about the strength of it and the weight of the sweater.

Left Hand Front: One extra pattern repeat to lengthen by 1.75ins. Cat Bordhi’s Wrap, Turn and Conceal Short Row shoulder.

Right Hand Front: One extra pattern repeat to lengthen by 1.75ins. Cat Bordhi’s Wrap, Turn and Conceal Short Row shoulder.

Sleeves: One extra increase under the arm (= 2 sts). Made the sleeves one inch longer.

Hood: Since I did short row shoulders, I had live stitches on the needle for the hood. I didn’t have to graft together, pick up stitches.

Edgings: my pickup ratio was 4:1 (14 times) then 3:1 (36 times) for a total of 328 sts. I increased to 164 sts each side because of the extra length of the fronts and back.

Buttons: I used 6 buttons and did the crochet loop closing option.

This fits fantastically. I made the 36ins version even though I’m 37ins. The only things I would do differently if I knit it again is (a) to make the sleeves a little wider….about 6 sts; (b) knit the sleeves in the round; and (c) add some waist shaping.

And now for the pictures:

No comments: