Thursday, February 21, 2008

What was I thinking?

First of all, let me say that I have three of the most beautiful nieces in the world. Of course, I am biased! I think I'm the best Aunty in the world too [laughing].

My nieces live in Austraia. From left to right - Karlia (4yrs 8mths), Jaycee (2yrs 11 mths) and Emily (3yrs 7mnths). Karlia and Jaycee are sisters.

When I visited them for Christmas in 2007, their bestest Aunty promised them all a pair of hand-knitted socks. They were of course delighted with my promise. I even allowed them to choose their favourite colours - Karlia chose blue, Jaycee chose pink, and Emily chose orange.

Shopping for the sock yarns was typically a blast! I mean, what kind of yarn junkie doesn't like to splurge on yarn? So, I bought Lorna's Laces Jeans for Karlia, I bought Lorna's Laces Tickled Pink for Jaycee, and ONline Supersocke Orange Variegates for Emily.

In February, I learned how to knit a pair of socks on two circular needles. And I must admit, I love, love, love the technique! But, my thirst for knowledge didn't stop there....consequently I almost drowned [figuratively speaking of course].

I decided to start knitting Jaycee's socks first because her birthday is in April. This decision was quite clever. What was not quite so clever, was that I also decided to learn a new sock knitting technique....one that I believed would propel me to "guru" status amongst knitters!

Ha! I'm pleading temporary insanity. Why? Because I'm knitting two socks at the same time on two circular needles!

With my trusted copy of Knitting Circles Around Socks on my lap, and one ball of yarn to the left of me; one to the right, I began! Thankfully, Married with Children was on TV, so as I tried to understand the instructions, I could find the humour in what I couldn't understand!

But I am determined to knit this pair of socks at the same time, and on two circular needles. Stay tuned for more of this fascinating tale!