Monday, January 4, 2010

Nordic Sweetie Hat

Have you got knitting projects that have been in your queue forever?  You know the ones....you really, really want to knit them, but you think you've bitten off more than you can chew?

And fair enough....who wants to waste time and money?

Then there's that horrid little pessimistic voice in the back of your head telling you that you don't knit well enough to take on such glorious and difficult projects.

So you think to yourself "aww, heck - I'll leave them in my queue cos they're so darn nice and they'll give me something to aspire to when I become fearless"!

Then, Christmas comes and Christmas goes.........

-------------------------------

And before you know it, it's New Year's Eve!!  Whoot!  And that means only one thing:  New Year's resolutions! [mad optimistic cheering].

Forget the mundane resolutions like:  I will not eat so much chocolate; I will hunt down happiness and love; I won't allow stress to beat me up this year; I will not take things so personally; I will seek enlightenment; I will find a way to work less and earn more......

This year, I'm going for the great gusto - the ultimate of resolutions!  That unatainable and supreme resolution made in haste just three seconds before the end of the old year....

I WILL KNIT FROM MY QUEUE.......and my stash!

---------------------------------

12:01am - 1 January 2010

Oh bugger!  Why did I resolve to knit from my queue and stash?  Ugh!  What was I thinking?

With wreckless abandon I go to my Ravelry knitting queue.  So many queued projects.......  I close my eyes and click on one!  Oh nooooooooooooo!  Not that one!  I quickly glance around the room - is anybody watching?  I could re-click.......but.........darn conscience!!

Enter [stage holy crap left]:  Nordic Sweetheart Hat by Anne Featonby!  A study (= bloody PhD) in fair isle knitting!

Fearlessly, and comforted only by blocks of cadbury chocolate, TV marathons of Spiderman, Batman, Torchwood, Dr. Who and Corner Gas, I cast on 144 stitches with fingering weight yarn onto my 3.25mm circular needle.

I knit like a mad woman!  I was obsessed!  There was steam coming off that addi turbo!  I only stopped to eat, go to the loo and sleep!  My eyes hurt.  My neck hurt.  My butt hurt (I think there's a permanent groove in the lounge chair!).  But I stayed the course.  This afternoon I put the addi turbo down and exclaimed:

I DID IT!!

Without further ado, I give you:


Nordic Sweetie (front view):


Nordic Sweetie (back view):


Nordic Sweetie (side view):



Nordic Sweetie:




If I can do it, you can do it!  Now go forth and be fearless too!  Knit from your queue!

No comments: