Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I've Got BIG Plans

For Fall and Winter knitting that is!

I'm not too sure where the inspiration came from...but I'm guessing a lot of it had to do with two fabulous gift certificates I received early this year - Briar Rose Fibres GC from my family (bless them) for my birthday, and Colorsong Yarns GC from my family (bless them again) for Christmas.

I asked Chris from Briar Rose whether she could custom dye some Robusta for me.  Robusta is a highlander, bulky weight wool, with the same twist, loft and feel as Bluefaced Leicester.  This yarn comes in massive 500 yds per 16oz skeins!

Chris asked me for a colourway, and I simply said "chocolate swirls".  Well, my chocolate swirls came in a big box, and if it hadn't of been yarn, I'd have eaten it!
Chocolate Swirls; Briar Rose Robusta
I have a very special project in mind for this yarn - Harwood by Sarah Hatton from the Rowan Studio 2 book.  Harwood is a mid-thigh length, cabled, long-sleeve jacket with pockets and five buttons.  Remember the buttons I bought at the Kitchener/Waterloo Knitters' Fair???  Yeah!

It took me a little longer to decide on yarn from Colorsong Yarns.  But once I found Killorglin by Carol Feller from the Contemporary Irish Knits book, my choice was much easier.  Killorglin is slim-fitting ribbed jacket utilizing interweaving ribs on the front and back to create a sophisticated and complicated-looking jacket.  A high collar and zipper closure finish the piece very neatly.  It's knit from the top down in one piece, the sleeves are picked up afterwards and set in sleeves are worked using short rows.

My yarn choice for this jacket is Fleece Artist Blue Face Leicester Wool, aran weight.  This yarn is 100% Blue Face Leicester Wool; 185m/202.3yds; 125g/4.4oz.  Since this jacket is so amazing, I wanted a semi-solid colour that simply screams out "look at me"!  I chose Ruby Red!

In addition to these two jackets, I have taken a shine to GreenGable Hoodie by Mari Muinonen/ Tikru which was published in Vogue Knitting Fall 2008.  GreenGable Hoodie is a cabled, hooded pullover. I purchased the yarn for this sweater at the recently attended Kitchener/Waterloo Knitting Fair.

Headwater Wool, Bulky
And then I purchased a bag of Galway Heathers worsted yarn from Cotton By Post, with Tinder by Jared Flood in mind.  Tinder is fitted and textured jacket with six buttons.

What was I thinking??  Three jackets and one sweater over Fall/Winter!  AND in between all that, a trip home to Australia!  Whoot!

No comments: