Sunday, September 11, 2011

Yarn Love at The Knitters' Fair

We'd waited all year, and even counted down the sleeps!  Finally the day arrived - the Kitchener/Waterloo Knitters' Fair.

Laurie very kindly agreed to drive again this year, and her carful was rounded out with Barb, Lynn and I.

As in previous years, the fair did not disappoint in terms of vendors, yarn and fibre.  The halls were abuzz with frenzied shoppers, shopping bags and yarn and fibre love.

I had a mission this year.  I'd done my research and was prepared with two patterns requiring yarn, and a list of accessories.  Disappointingly, many of the items on my list were not were not crossed off (stitch markers, addi turbo natura bamboo circs, shawl pin).  It's not that these things weren't available at the fair....I just didn't like what was available, or the size I wanted wasn't there.

I was also keen to find some bulky yarn for a cable-rich hoodie that I'd fallen in love with from the Vogue 2008 Fall magazine.  There was so much yarn at the fair, but a lot of it was heavily variegated and simply not suitable for cables.  Some semi-solid colourways would have worked, but quantity was short......

Finally I found The Needle Gnome, suppliers for Headwater Wool.  Their yarn is 100% Romney wool and made in Latvia.  The perfect yarn for the hoodie.

Romney Wool; Mustard Seed.
The perfect buttons for a car coat project I'll be starting soon!

Another skein of Black Welsh Mountain Sheep Wool.  Now I can make mittens to match the hat from last year.
Some circular needles; though not in the size I required.
Some more fabulous SOAK for my wool washing.  And a new foot lotion...it's cucumber and smells yummy!

And to top things off - on Sunday I received a call from a friend to say that she knew a woman who'd been knitting her whole life and wanted to destash entirely!  What was I to do, but go over and see what she had!  I came home with about 5% of what was there:

100% wool from Norway!  This lot is mostly worsted, and only $2 a ball!
Sweet!

No comments: