Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Manos Ponytail Toque

I've needed a ponytail toque [beanie for us Aussies] for years!

Every single toque I own doesn't fit properly - unless I wear my hair down - which isn't common for me. So, when my hair's in a ponytail, it means I always have this darn bulge at the back of my head, and the toque always rides up!

When I saw this brilliant pattern for a ponytail toque [called Hannah by Blake Ehrlich], I knew I HAD to knit it....and quick before the winter was over.

So, I cast this on about 5pm on 11 February. Hannah is written for chunky yarn [Misti Alpaca Chunky] at a gauge of 15sts and 20 rows per 4 inches on 6mm needles. The finished size is 18 inches (unstretched) and 28 inches stretched.

I used Manos del Uruguay yarn which is aran weight [14-18 sts per 4 inches]. But, I wanted a smaller fit because my head circumference is only 21 inches (no, I'm not a pinhead!). Therefore, I used 5mm needles.

I cast the toque off at 11am on 12 February. This was an incredibly easy and very fast knit. Just a few hours of work in front of the boob tube! I added a few row repeats because of the smaller gauge. It fits perfectly, and my ponytail and I are issue-free!