Sunday, June 15, 2008

Year of the Frog Jumper

Hum...humm...hmmm.... Hip, hip, hooray! And glory hallelulia! Let there be dancing in the streets! Let there be free yarn for every fibre jumkie! Let there be a 1kg block of Cadbury's Milk Chocolate in my fridge! Woo hoo!

It's finally OVER, and I couldn't be happier. The frog jumper I've been knitting for a couple of months is ...dee-oh-en-ee....DONE! I'm donating this boy's size 4 sweater to The Year of the Frog colouring competition for the under 3's being run at The Bloomin Bog Water Gardens.

It turned out quite nice. The back and arms of the jumper were finished in no time at all. But BUT, then I had to knit intarsia on the front....not one, but TWO green frogs....

Ribbit, bloody ribbit!

Never again...nope, nah, no way, nada, non, ne, nein, nö, nie, naa! Grrrr....

I was getting so tangled with the small cards of colour that I decided it was easier to cut 3ft-4ft lengths of yarn for each colour area. This worked fairly well actually - no more tangles. However, when it came to weaving in all the ends.........#%#$!!#$!!!! [please excuse the only French I know!]

So my intarsia days are done - not for any amount of money. Am I smarter than a fifth grader? Well, that's yet to be determined. But what I do know is that I'm smart enough to never make another intarsia sweater.

Oh, and did I mention that I HATE intarsia? It's right up there with liver and brussel sprouts!

On a positive note - if this sweater saves just one frog, then all my frustration was worth it!



Oh to be a frog, my lads,
and live aloof from care.

Theocritus, from The Reepers, Circa 310-250BC.

No comments: