After what seemed like a zillion design hours [compared to actual knitting time] I converted a Suedtirolean Coat of Arms (COA) graphic into a workable knitting chart. The chart had way too many colour shades, so I had to painstakingly [=manually] convert it into three colours using Photoshop. The next hurdle was that it was far too big (48 stitches and 40 rows) and would have knit up to 5 x 6 inch motif. So I had to reduce the image by about 40% and eliminate quite a lot of the detail [what a shame].
Then the swatching began with Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift 4-ply yarn. Aye, aye, aye! I thought I counted right, and cast on 170 stitches using 3.25mm needles. Well, I was wrong. Way wrong. After frogging a couple of times, I finally cast on 140 stitches using 2.75mm needles. Then I switched to 3.25mm needles for the stranded motif work and the crown of the hat.
I had to write the knitting pattern "on the fly", but quite honestly, you can't go too wrong with a hat.
It's hard to fit a hat on a head that is 20,000km and 9 time zones away! Mum gave me Dad's head measurements, but I still had to improvise...
Meet my Dad!
If this hat could talk, what an amazing guinness story it would have:
Well mates, I started off as sheep fleece in Scotland. Aye! I was processed into yarn and then imported into Canada. I was then purchased by an Aussie who knit a Suedtirolean motif from my lovely woolen fibres into a hat. She then flew me all the way to Australia for her Dad!
Cheers big ears!